This three-story rowhouse, a contributing structure on Historic Striver’s Row of Dupont Circle, was constructed in 1885 as a single-family residence. Cunningham | Quill Architects was commissioned to convert the rowhouse into two spacious urban apartments, after the building had operated as a group house for thirty years. Exterior restorations and significant interior refinishing and reconfiguration helped revive the original grand character of the house.
The renovation divides the interior space into an Upper Apartment unit on the second and third levels and a Lower Apartment on the first and basement levels. Both units contain a living, dining, and kitchen suite, along with three bedrooms, and share an entry foyer on S Street with garage parking and a porch entry at the rear. The main feature of the house, a grand three-story wood stair, was preserved and connects the entry foyer with the second and third floors.
Most of the original interior finishes and details of the house survived its history. In the original dining room, paneling trim and decorative wood beams were removed and reinstalled, inspiring the detail of new rooms elsewhere in the units.