Bruner Place is a series of seven mixed-income residential townhouses on South Glebe Road in Arlington, VA. Named after the late Dr. Roland Bruner, a prominent physician to the African-American community in South Arlington who practiced and lived on site from 1930 to 1970, the project serves the Nauck Community. Cunningham | Quill Architects developed a scheme involving the on-site relocation and renovation of two existing single-family houses and the addition of five new townhouses. The program includes four affordable and three market-rate townhouses, divided into two separate rows along a green space fronting South Glebe Road.
Taking advantage of the natural topography, rear-sloping driveways remove cars to individual garages at the back of the site. This space-saving strategy provides generous front porches that attach to each townhouse unit, fostering a sense of community among residents. Particular care was taken in the design to create a unified community where affordable and market-rate homes are virtually indistinguishable from the exterior.