This house is an exception in a neighborhood of traditional brick colonial houses. Set high on a rolling hill and sheathed in redwood and glass, the one-story original house merged into the landscape of trees and stone with a simple “L” shaped plan. The open plan, like many houses of the 1950’s, lacked a dining room and entry foyer.
Three elements were added to the long low elevation: a new Foyer on the north side, a new Dining Room tower to the south, with a covered entry court between them. New doors, windows, and cutouts strengthen existing long views and create multiple cross-axes. The Dining Room is the focal point of the addition: a simple cube sandwiched between a heated flagstone floor, which runs out to the garden, and a birch ceiling, which meets the sky. The addition extends and modifies the language of the original house into a new composition in the landscape.